Resources for Students
This page highlights relevant resources for students interested in WIPO and intellectual property (IP).
What WIPO is and does
- What is WIPO? – a brief introduction and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about WIPO
- Treaties and Contracting Parties – up-to-date information about the treaties administered by WIPO and their membership status
- IP Services – WIPO’s global IP services that support inventors and businesses in protecting their IP rights internationally
- Development of IP Law – WIPO’s role in facilitating the development of international IP law, standards and practices
- Intellectual Property for Development – WIPO’s work to support countries in their use of IP for development
- Internship Opportunities – available in Geneva and at WIPO External Offices
- Visits to WIPO – organized for students and other groups interested in IP and the work of the Organization
- The WIPO Information Center – a visitors’ center offering information materials on WIPO and IP, as well as souvenirs
All about IP
- What is Intellectual Property?
- Information about the latest developments, treaties and events in different areas of IP:
- Traditional Knowledge, Genetic Resources and Traditional Cultural Expressions/Folklore – the latest developments in WIPO’s work regarding IP and these areas
Learning and Research Resources
- The WIPO Academy offers a variety of courses, including online distance learning, the WIPO Summer School program, as well as education and degree programs with selected universities.
- The WIPO Library is a specialized IP reference library open to external researchers by appointment.
- WIPO makes available a wide range of information on Economics and Statistics.
- WIPO GOLD is a gateway to WIPO’s global collections of searchable IP data.
- WIPO Lex is a one-stop search facility for national IP laws and international IP treaties.
WIPO and IP in Practice
- The WIPO Magazine features stories about IP and how it is used around the world.
- WIPO’s YouTube channel offers clips about WIPO and IP, as well as documentaries and interviews featuring inventors and creators from around the globe.
- The IP Advantage database contains a fully searchable collection of case studies demonstrating IP in action.
- Intellectual Property for Business answers questions on how IP is useful for businesses, in particular SMEs.
- Through its E-Bookshop and Free Information Products, WIPO offers a wide range of publications on all aspects of WIPO and IP.
- World Intellectual Property Day (April 26) celebrated annually, helps to increase public understanding of what IP means and how the innovations and creations it protects help to shape the world.
- Newsletters and RSS feeds provide regular updates on WIPO and IP-related topics.
Resources for Younger Students
- Publications for Young People and Schools offers a range of materials for these audiences.