Under the Program & Budget 2010-2011 , WIPO’s work in the field of building respect for IP aims to support informed and empirically well-founded policy discussions at the international level, and to strengthen capacity in Member States for the effective enforcement of IP rights, in the interests of social and economic development and consumer protection.
WIPO’s activities in the area of Building Respect for IP are guided by Recommendation No. 45 of the WIPO Development Agenda, adopted by Member States in 2007: “To approach IP enforcement in the context of broader societal interests and especially development-oriented concerns, with a view that ‘the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights should contribute to the promotion of technological innovation and to the transfer and dissemination of technology, to the mutual advantage of producers and users of technological knowledge and in a manner conducive to social and economic welfare, and to a balance of rights and obligations’, in accordance with article 7 of the TRIPS Agreement.”
The activities of the WIPO Building Respect for IP Division include:
- Servicing the sessions of the Advisory Committee on Enforcement (ACE);
- Providing legal, strategic and technical assistance to Member States, upon request;
- Closely liaising with public and private partner organizations to ensure constructive, result-oriented international cooperation in line with WIPO’s strategic approach to building respect for IP;
- Facilitating the exchange of information relating to intellectual property enforcement.
Close cooperation with other sectors within WIPO, but also with other intergovernmental organizations, is essential in carrying out these tasks; joint activities, events and campaigns are therefore regularly planned and organized.
- Activities from January to April 2013
- Activities from January to December 2012
- Activities from January to December 2011
Please note: that the Building Respect for IP Division does not provide assistance or legal advice to individual persons or entities.