In certain cases, you can request that WIPO correct an error recorded in the International Register.
Only certain errors can be corrected by WIPO. In general, WIPO will only correct typographical or factual errors that meet the criteria outlined below.
Errors made by WIPO
If WIPO has made an error concerning an international registration, you may request a correction at any time.
Errors made by the holder or the holder's representative
WIPO will not correct errors made by the holder or the holder’s representative.
Errors made by an IP Office
WIPO will correct the following errors made by an IP Office, if the request for correction is received by WIPO within nine months from the date the error was published in the International Register (WIPO Gazette):
- An error in an international registration resulting from a discrepancy between documents received by WIPO and those filed with the IP Office of a Contracting Party (member)
- An error involving the list of Contracting Parties (members) designated in your international registration
- An error involving the list of goods and services in your international trademark registration
WIPO will also correct minor typographical errors or spelling mistakes made by an IP Office, as long as such corrections do not impact the rights deriving from the international registration.
There is no time limit for this type of correction.
Errors by the holder or holder’s representative
WIPO will not correct the following types of errors, if the errors are due to a mistake by the holder or the holder’s representative:
- Errors concerning the list of designated Contracting Parties (members)
- Errors concerning the list of goods and services
Errors concerning the classification of goods and services
WIPO will only correct an error in the classification of goods and/or services, if the goods and services were not correctly classified in accordance with the Nice Classification.
If you identify an error in the International Register (based on the criteria above), there are two ways to submit a request for correction:
- Use the Contact Madrid service (select “a correction” under My request concerns, then enter the details in the relevant field)
- Complete Form MM21 (Request for the correction of a recording) and submit the form to WIPO through the Contact Madrid service
How much does it cost?
A request for correction is free of charge